Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Susan is looking for YA/MG interns - CLOSED

UPDATE: Many thanks for your response!  I received so many wonderful applications.  The application period is now closed (as of Thursday, April 14th) and I will be in touch with everyone who applied over the next few weeks.

I have openings for two interns, both to focus on MG & YA reading.  Publishing experience isn’t necessary; I’m looking for passionate, thoughtful readers, whose taste is similar to mine.  Familiarity with YA and MG fiction is a requirement, and especially important is knowledge of recent award-winners and New York Times bestsellers. 

To see if our tastes are a match, please take a look at my client list here: http://susanhawk.blogspot.com/p/my-clients.html.  In addition, here’s a list of some writers and books that I particularly enjoy (but don’t represent).  If you see your favorites on these lists, I encourage you to apply! 

MT Anderson, Jack Gantos, Polly Horvath, Rainbow Rowell, Laura Amy Schlitz, Gary Schmidt, Rita Williams-Garcia.

The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier
The Thing about Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin
Chime and Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell
The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
A Brief History of Montmaray (The Montmaray Journals) by Michelle Cooper
Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge
The Knife of Never Letting Go series by Patrick Ness
The Riverman by Aaron Starmer
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu

Here are the details:
• The internships are remote, so you can work from anywhere.  A treehouse, in your pajamas, in the middle of the night, for instance.
• Typically, interns read and report on a manuscript every two weeks.
• The internship is unpaid, however TBA holds regular intern discussion sessions with our agents on a variety of industry topics.  In addition, I plan periodic phone calls to discuss books we’ve been reading, and answer any other questions about the publishing process that I can.
• I ask for a six-month commitment, however, many of my interns have stayed on for longer – some of them for over a year.

The internship is a great way to learn more about an agent’s work and decision-making process. Past interns have been writers for children, children’s librarians, elementary school teachers, MFA students.  All of them have been passionate readers.

I value a range of experiences and perspectives from my interns, and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds.

To apply, send an email to kidsintern@gmail.com with the following information:
• Tell me why you’d like the position.
• Include a bit of information about yourself, including any relevant experience you have.  Attach a resume if you’d like to, though it’s not necessary. 
• List the last 10 books you’ve read in YA/MG, and a brief note – one line – on what you liked, or didn’t, about the book.
• List your 10 all-time favorite books in either YA/MG.  

Usually, I receive quite a few applicants and the application period will close fairly quickly; watch this space and twitter (@susanhawk) for more announcements.

Thank you! 

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment